Welcome back to Your Dog Wants You To Know This!
Have you ever wondered when we will finally understand the science we need to beat cancer? Well today’s guest, Dr. Stephen Johnston, has some fascinating research to share with us about preventing cancer in dogs, and hopefully humans.
Stephen Johnston is the director for the Center for Innovations in Medicine (CIM), a Professor in the School of Life Sciences, and Director of the Biological Design Graduate Program at The Biodesign Institute at Arizona State University. He has authored over 150 journal articles, has over 20 patents, and even developed a gene gun which delivers the melanoma vaccine.
Today he’s talking to us about one of his main projects, cancer eradication and the development of a universal preventative cancer vaccine. He’s bringing us up to date on his Vaccination Against Canine Cancer Study and how you might be able to help.
In Today’s Episode We Discuss:
- The beginnings of the clinical trial
- How vaccines work
- Where we are at with cancer vaccines in the present day
- How the trial transitioned from people to dogs
- The creation of this specific vaccine
- How long it will take to know whether this vaccine is a success or not
- Weighing out risks and benefits
- The process of detecting cancer in dogs
- The importance of making things inexpensive so they can be widely accessible
- Creating simple methods for early cancer diagnosis
- The eligibility criteria for the Vaccination Against Canine Cancer Study
There are about 350 of the 800 spaces left on the Vaccination Against Canine Cancer trial. Participants must be within 150 miles of either UC Davis, Colorado State, or University of Wisconsin. If you think you, or someone you know, might be eligible, please click on your location appropriate link below.
If you have questions specifically for Dr. Stephen Johnston, you can contact him at Stephen.Johnston@asu.edu.
How We Can Connect:
Subscribe & Review on Apple Podcasts
Are you subscribed to the podcast? If you’re not, I want to encourage you to so you don’t miss any future episodes! I already have so many amazing guests and topics lined up, I would hate for you to miss a single one! Click here to subscribe on Apple Podcasts
Could I ask a big favor? If you are loving the podcast, I would LOVE it if you would leave me a review on Apple Podcasts. I read each and every review. Plus, you get to pay it forward because it will allow other dog lovers like you to find the podcast!