Welcome back to Your Dog Wants You To Know This!
Did you know that there are multiple variations of lymphoma and leukemia?
Today we’re talking about the many faces of lymphoma and leukemia. These diseases can look like many things. Some are more aggressive than others, so having an exact diagnosis is key.
To walk us through that and help us understand it, we are joined by Dr. Anne Avery.
Dr. Avery received her V.M.D. from the University of Pennsylvania and a Ph.D. in Immunology from Cornell University. She was a post-doctorate fellow at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, and is currently a professor in the Department of Microbiology, Immunology & Pathology at Colorado State University as well as the Director of the Clinical Immunology Laboratory.
We’re covering things like what variations exist, what they look like, how they might be diagnosed and why accurate diagnosis is so important.
In Today’s Episode We Discuss:
- The different types of lymphoma and leukemia
- What distinguishes lymphoma from leukemia
- How many variations exist in people and in dogs
- How a diagnosis might vary from one type to another
- What we’ve learned in recent years about each
- Why negative tests can’t confirm that there’s no cancer
- The turnaround time for a flow cytometry test
- What a flow cytometry test is looking for and how it helps with diagnosis
- Why PARR testing has fallen out of favor
- Breed-related predispositions for lymphoma and leukemia
Dr. Avery shared a ton of information with us in this episode that I hope was helpful to you.
Hopefully, you have a better understanding of how different lymphoma can look from one patient to another and the importance of getting an accurate diagnosis so that you can also get accurate prognostic and treatment information.
How We Can Connect:
Subscribe & Review on Apple Podcasts
Are you subscribed to the podcast? If you’re not, I want to encourage you to so you don’t miss any future episodes! I already have so many amazing guests and topics lined up, I would hate for you to miss a single one! Click here to subscribe on Apple Podcasts
Could I ask a big favor? If you are loving the podcast, I would LOVE it if you would leave me a review on Apple Podcasts. I read each and every review. Plus, you get to pay it forward because it will allow other dog lovers like you to find the podcast!